Washington State Child Support

By admin / July 19, 2007
By: McKinley Irvin
Category: Divorce

During a family law action involving children such as divorce or legal separation, the court will determine which parent with whom the children shall primarily live and will order child support to be paid by the other parent. Both parents are obligated to support their children financially under Washington State child support law, both the residential and non-residential parent. A child support order which orders the non-residential parent to pay support to the residential parent reflects the non-residential parent's portion of the total support. Since the residential parent pays the child's support on a daily basis, there is no need to order that parent to pay the other parent. Even when the court names one parent as the primary residential parent and receives support payments from the other parent, the residential and parenting rights of the non-residential parent remain intact under Washington state child support law. Under Washington State child support law, except in cases of abuse or unfitness, the non-residential parent is entitled to substantial visitation with the children. Knowing the rights of both the residential and non-residential parents in a family law dispute is one important role that a competent Washington state child support attorney can serve. Besides basic necessities like food, school supplies, and shelter, which are included in the child support transfer payment, other expenses such as education and uninsured medical costs, are some other expenses that should be shared by the non-residential parent. Under Washington state child support law, these expenses can be drafted into a final child support order. Your Washington State child support attorney can explain the process and can look out for your interests in negotiating the terms of your child support determination.

Publish this article: Washington State Child Support
About the author


Leave a comment: